Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scams, etc..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:39 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Shrewsbury
State: Massachusetts
Hippy Chippy wrote:
Shep wrote:
Yesterday I received an email from APG telling me that my parcel would be delivered soon. The text gave a tracking number with a link. As it was l was expecting a parcel. I went to the APG website and checked the tracking number through them, and guess what? "UNABLE TO LOCATE TRACKING NUMBER" They're getting good.

=; The way I figure it, when I order something on-line, I'm happy to just chill out :wine: and wait for it to arrive. :gotmail:

:-k If I feel it's overdue, I opt for a somewhat similar procedure to what Shep has already detailed... :type:

:glasses8: I initiate a search by going back to my original confirmation order :evil3: and use the tracking number which usually comes with the order...

:happy: Another give-away is that most of my online purchases come from Amazon, or Kogan, and depending on size, :hiding: are usually delivered by Toll, or Australia Post...

[-X Scam notifications from the likes of DHL, et al, stand out like the proverbial :grommit: :grommit: balls...

[-X Apart from their text messages :evil3: often containing numerous spelling/ grammar mistakes, scam notifications also usually have 'php' in the link, an open source software,
(its the FREE software platform RAN Skilled Hands is based on,) not something that DHL, et al, are likely to use for their official corporate website/ tracking system... [-(

[-X Above all, NEVER, EVER CLICK ON THE URL IN THE TEXT MESSAGE, unless you're happy for the scammers to have access to EVERYTHING in your mobile phone, :mobile: starting
with usernames, passwords, bank/ credit card details, photos and ALL your contacts... but then again, you're :happy1: MOBIs, so I'm 'preaching to the converted', aren't I...! :finga:

The same thing is going on here. Here it is UPS and FedEx that are supposedly sending the texts or emails. Both companies strongly suggest opening accounts with them, which are free,
and logging :type: onto their official sites to track packages. :hiding:

Enlisted USMC 3 March 1972 on delayed entry. Active duty 17 June 1972. Due to a Reduction In Force as the Vietnam War wound down, discharged for a minor medical problem , 23 July 1972.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
=; Many of you would've no doubt seen this already, :evil3: if you're on Bob Mummery's mailing lists, :gotmail: for those who aren't it's an important update on the :angry9: current spate of 'phone :mobile: scams'...! :swear1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

=; It was bound to happen, the :faaaarrk: :idjit: perps :violent1: behind all those annoying scamming/ phishing/ hacking mobile
phone :mobile: text messages
have come up with a new, smart-arsed version that's almost irresistible... :shithot: [-X ...almost...! [-(

It reads like this: :evil3: "If you don't wish to receive these annoying text messages anymore, click on this link..........!" :puter:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:58 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Hippy Chippy wrote:
=; It was bound to happen, the :faaaarrk: :idjit: perps :violent1: behind all those annoying scamming/ phishing/ hacking mobile
phone :mobile: text messages
have come up with a new, smart-arsed version that's almost irresistible... :shithot: [-X ...almost...! [-(

It reads like this: :evil3: "If you don't wish to receive these annoying text messages anymore, click on this link..........!" :puter:

Had a couple of those but did not lose my resolve and just deleted. Would not mind sending a rocket back down the line to the source....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

=; What gets me about these phone hackers is, if you try to call the number back, it's always disconnected... :phone:

This infers that the perps have virtually unlimited access to a pool of unallocated, :mobile: or relinquished mobile telephone numbers... :-k

Having worked for a number of years for Telecom/ Telstra Mobile Phones, I'm aware that every new connection/ SIM Card needs to be
set-up/ programmed/ validated by a Telstra/ Optus/ Vodaphone, etc., technician before it can work... :phone 2:
[-( How hard can it be for our overpaid Telcos to track/ trace back the issuing/ allocation/ validating of new mobile numbers... :dontknow: :pharque:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:16 pm 
Div. Officer

Hippy Chippy wrote:
=; What gets me about these phone hackers is, if you try to call the number back, it's always disconnected... :phone:

This infers that the perps have virtually unlimited access to a pool of unallocated, :mobile: or relinquished mobile telephone numbers... :-k

Having worked for a number of years for Telecom/ Telstra Mobile Phones, I'm aware that every new connection/ SIM Card needs to be
set-up/ programmed/ validated by a Telstra/ Optus/ Vodaphone, etc., technician before it can work... :phone 2:
[-( How hard can it be for our overpaid Telcos to track/ trace back the issuing/ allocation/ validating of new mobile numbers... :dontknow: :pharque:

I imagine the civil liberties brigade would bring up an attack on privacy of individuals.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

BEWARE...!!! Facebook Messenger "look what i found..." Scam... :snap:

In the past 24 hours, I've received three identical Facebook Messenger messages :evil3: all headed up: "look what i found..." followed with a very suspect link :roll: from two 14th Intake MOBIs, Bill Ohl and
Pete Holt, now a third, from 13th MOBI Intake's Nic Tatarinoff, all well known to me, but none of whom regularly send me Facebook messages... [-(
Needless to say it triggered an automatic response :omg1: in my suspicious mind and so I didn't open any, though I do suspect that :angry9: Bill's, Pete's and Nic'sFacebook accounts have all been hacked... :swear1:

The scam is discussed in more detail here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments ... nger_scam/

And here: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/ ... -ive-found

And here: https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?param ... %2Fnote%2F

And here: https://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/S ... senger.htm

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:21 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Not internet scams, but certainly scam related. I get at least 6 sms scams per day, sometimes many more, and 24 hrs per day.

All relate to undeliverable parcels, problems with bank accounts being illegally accessed, payments on my Amazon/cable/etc accounts overdue, legal action pending due to income tax underpayments, and a number more I can't remember. All get deleted.

Then there's the phone scams, but I enjoy them if there's a real person on the line. :grin: :grin:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:04 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Seejay wrote:
Then there's the phone scams, but I enjoy them if there's a real person on the line. :grin: :grin:

Especially if the caller is female! :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:15 am 
Div. Officer

Graeme Rhodes wrote:
Seejay wrote:

Especially if the caller is female! :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

"What are you wearing"?

"I bet it is tight and leaves nothing to the imagination"?

Then they hang up..................

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next