Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
=; Don't think I hadn't thought of back-tracking to the Maccas :eating: at Circular Quay :licking: and giving The Lord Nelson, the ole one-finger :upy: salute...! :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:04 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
:pharque: em Rick. Just a money grab... :brick-wall: :banghead: So much for loyalty...:omg1: :omg1: Prefer Maccas to giving those turds my money... :pull hair: :pull hair:

Look around for another pub...even if we have to change the route slightly. Maybe try Philip’s Foote (just down from the Orient) which has cooked or bbq your own.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:45 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Seems any pub on that day may be an issue. Back to City Extra for lunch or Hungry Jacks at Circular Quay?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:08 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
What about taxi-ing en masse to Harry's at the Loo?

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

=; O.K., brace yourselves, :omg1: here's where we're at... I've just got off the phone :mobile: from Sonia, (at The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel,) who has spoken to her boss, and has arrived at the following:

:evil3: OPTION #1: If we stick to Tuesday 7th, she'll waive the up-front $50.00 on volunteer schmuck's credit card, BUT she'll want us ALL in by 1200, out by 1300, giving her crew time to clean up and turn the
tables over to the next party of schmucks... She also warned the meals will costs more Melbourne Cup Day due to a 'special menu' :drink eat: for the occasion, (I think :-k she said something about a knackery, :omg1:
but I couldn't be sure...)
=; Of course, sticking to Tuesday 7th, means we'll miss out on the company of faithful regulars Dave Warren, Mark Mobley and his mate 'Bill', and Pony Moore... OR, ALTERNATIVELY...

:evil3: OPTION #2: (My suggestion.) If we bite the bullet and revert back to Saturday 4th November, risking :angry9: ire and upsetting already booked digs and/ or flights, :swear1: Sonia has assured me there would
be no volunteer schmuck's credit card :cow: :shit: she'd fit us in, normal meal prices, no overcrowding, in by (our usual) 1300 :yess: (allowing for a leisurely stroll to get there,) :walk: out, whenever, :dontknow:
the main down side being inconvenience for those needing to re-book flights and digs, and of course, losing the company of Col and probably Charlie, but gaining, Dave, Mark, Bill, maybe even Pony... :horse:

=; I was prepared to stick with the Tuesday, but after much soul-searching, :-k Col's suggestion makes much more sense all round... :happy: Col's a Sydney local, so catching up with him for a future leisurely, long,
laid-back RAN Skilled Hands reunion lunch
, (the inevitable evolution of our annual RAN SH Pub Crawl,) won't be such a huge ask... :dontknow:
Similarly, Charlie lives near me, :happy: on the NSW Central Coast, so future train day-tripping to the 'Big Smoke' (no accommodation required,) won't be anywhere near the head :pharque: :banghead: that organising
our :drink 29: Annual :ouzo: RAN :drinkers: Skilled :wine: Hands :occasion5: Sydney :cocktail: Rocks :drink 42: Xmas :santa: Pub :partyman: Crawl :drink eat: Smokies :tchin: are proving to be...!!! [-(

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:11 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Lord Nelson isn't the only ones price gouging...

Looked at Friday flights to Sydney to get in around the same time as Tuesday...when I looked initially they were around $229 plus the $35 I'd be charged to change...and when I looked 10 minutes later it was $699 plus $35 to change... :cat1: :cat1: A bit cheaper on the way back, but another $35 to change :faaaarrk: Looking at faggot airlines... :omg: :omg: :omg1: :omg1: :pale: :pale:

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

=; I appreciate your efforts, Tafmo, and Gary, Ned, Ellen, Shep and Polly, and I'm sorry to put everyone through this :cow: :shit: but a relaxed and leisurely :tchin: Rocks Run :drink eat: on Saturday,
versus a stressed and rushed Melbourne Cup :horse: Tuesday with all the post-Cup :piss: heads :drink 42: crowding :partyman: us in every venue, sorta makes it a no-brainer... :dontknow:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

=; O.K., [-X IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POSTS, :snap: TUESDAY IT IS, :ok: END OF STORY...!!! :yess:

=; It was going to incur huge costs :money 3: for :angry9: Tafmo and Fraddy :swear1: to change flights :plane: and accommodation, and Ned, Ellen, Shep and Polly felt the same way about the
arrangements they had made... :snap: So... :dontknow:

=; ONE FINAL NOTE: :evil3: As noted :laughing3: earlier, Sonia accepted our lunch booking from 1200 to 1300, but she said that if we wish to arrive earlier, to say, have a drink, for example, :wine: and as we're
making an effort to get in and out inside one hour, (and earlier than we would have normally,) she'll make sure our tables are set up/ available from 1130, no pressure, but available if we want to make use of it...
Depending on how we're travelling at that stage, that offer could be quite useful, being that we'd be able to lounge around for 90 minutes, instead of just an hour... :yess:

:-k Also, because of this earlier availability, I rang the :drink eat: City Extra Restaurant :partyman: and changed our booking to 0900 (it was going to be for 0930...) so please make your adjustments to your travel times
to accommodate the earlier start... :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:52 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
A good decision Rick. We can change the route slightly to accommodate the earlier lunch. I will have a think about it and post a suggested itinerary. I think a 0900 breakfast is fine. :ok:

OK, after carefull consideration here is my suggested route:
0900 breakfast at City Extra.
Fortune of War.
The Orient.

Stroll up Argyle Street then a Slow walk up the steps to The Australian.
The Glenmore.
Through the tunnel and down thr hill to the Captain Cook/Lord Nelson/Palisade area and work in out lunch stop.
After completing those 3 pubs, head back to Circular Quay via The Hero of Waterloo.
Harbour View.
Mercantile.
Then possibly the Lowenbrau Keller for a german beer or a butterscotch schnapps.
We could swap the Lowenbrau Keller and the Orient around. :drinkers: :wine: :occasion5:

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Just got off the phone from our mate, Dave Warren, who told me that he's currently going through a treatment regime for Leukaemia, :shit: and is in for another dose of chemotherapy tomorrow... :bugger:
He's fairly chipper about it all on the surface and has high hopes of a positive prognosis going forward... :yess: We're all keeping our fingers and toes crossed for a full and speedy eradication of this insidious
disease, good Buddy... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Reunions, Smokeys, Banyans and Get Togethers  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next